RS232 communication options | Arduino Compatible Compiler for LabVIEW Discussions | Forum

Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
RS232 communication options
March 17, 2016
5:01 pm
findingthingsout
Members
Forum Posts: 10
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I would like to use an Arduino UNO to read an input from a Fluke device. This device only has RS232 capabilities. From reading the ACC4LV manual i could update the IDE library with a RS 232  shield's library and then modify it to run with LV. Is that roughly accurate?

Being that I have minimal C- coding experience I need to find a different solution. I could just run a standard LV program and use a serial converter to talk to the Fluke device. But i would rather utilize the UNO since I am using it for part of the test already.

Is there any other options to consider? Or would the modification to the 232 shield code be fairly minimal and maybe I could stumble through it? 

Thanks

March 18, 2016
5:45 am
lovediwan
Members
Forum Posts: 14

Yes, u have to connect ur UNO to fluke on pin no. 0 & 1 and make ground common of UNO but make sure u put TTL to RS 232 converter in between. 

Programming in LV will be different as you have to use only complier specific VI's there, but make sure u take care of memory management as smaller boards has smaller memory so be cautious.

Rest thumbs up for your trails.

Do update later ur experience.

Regards

Love Diwan | http://www.pujacontrols.com

March 18, 2016
7:56 pm
findingthingsout
Members

Thanks, Diwan

I will give this a try and post my experience.

April 1, 2016
8:57 pm
RTSLVU
Members
Forum Posts: 21

findingthingsout said
 I would like to use an Arduino UNO to read an input from a Fluke device. This device only has RS232 capabilities. From reading the ACC4LV manual i could update the IDE library with a RS 232  shield's library and then modify it to run with LV. Is that roughly accurate?

Being that I have minimal C- coding experience I need to find a different solution. I could just run a standard LV program and use a serial converter to talk to the Fluke device. But i would rather utilize the UNO since I am using it for part of the test already.

Is there any other options to consider? Or would the modification to the 232 shield code be fairly minimal and maybe I could stumble through it? 

Thanks

As Lovediwan was saying all you need to do is use a RS232 to TTL converter IC like a MAX232 and connect it to pins 0 and 1 on the Arduino (Rx  and Tx)

Then communicating with it would be just like communicating with any other serial device using an Arduino.

April 6, 2016
7:59 pm
findingthingsout
Members

Thanks for the reply's. I ended up writing a driver in LV 2015 for the Fluke 1524 meter. There was none available for it.Then had to make a cable to connect to the 232/ USB converterand connected the the PC. Its a relatively new Reference thermometer. I then wrote a program to write the sensor data to an ini file and then reading the file with a already developed data logging program. I want to do the least amount of data compiling after the test. 

I would like to try some 232 comms with Arduino still. I'll probably have another application for it in the future. 

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 100
Currently Online:
Guest(s)
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
miche91: 33
scottj: 28
scadao: 23
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 5